Peripheral Polyneuropathy means that the nerves which take information from the brain and vice versa don’t work correctly. Not only this, these nerves also take signals from the spinal cord to other parts of the body and vice versa. So when these nerves don’t function properly it can be damage in a single nerve, a group of nerves or it can be damage to the nerves of the whole of the body.
Causes of Peripheral Polyneuropathy
Damage to the nerves of the body is a common thing and they are of different types and there are different causes for their occurrence. But many a times these reasons cannot be found out. Also there are cases in which the thing is hereditary. Some of the main causes for Peripheral Polyneuropathy are:
- The most common cause of nerve damage is the diabetes. In diabetes a person have the problem of high blood sugar levels and in the long run it results in the occurrence of this problem.
- There are some medical problems also like autoimmune disorders rheumatoid arthritis or lupus, infections like HIV and infections of liver, improper blood flow to the legs, chronic kidney disease, underactive thyroid gland, low levels of vitamin B12 or other diet problems.
- Drugs and other toxins can also be a cause of nerve damage. If a person uses too much of alcohol then he may get a nerve damage. The drugs which are used to treat infections like cancer and seizures or high blood pressure can become a reason for nerve damage.
- If any nerve which is near a body part gets pressure then it can also be a cause for nerve damage for which carpel tunnel syndrome is an example.
- If there is a bone fracture then it can cause Peripheral Polyneuropathy.
- If a person remains exposed to cold environment for a longer duration then it may cause damage to a nerve.
- If use of bad-fitting casts, brace or crutches is done then the pressure can cause nerve damage.
Symptoms of Peripheral Polyneuropathy
The symptoms of this problem are based on the type of nerve which is damaged and also whether the affected nerve is single, in a group or in all over the body. The symptoms are:
- The very beginning sign of nerve damage is tingling or burning in a person’s arms and legs. The problem generally starts in toes and feet. Severe pain is felt in these areas. Arms and legs of a person may lose feeling and the person may not feel anything hot or cold, may not feel any cut or sore.
- A persons muscle starts giving problems in the condition of nerve damage. The person loses control over the muscles and may have problem in moving a part or parts of a body.
- Peripheral polyneuropathy causes problem in digesting the food. People affected by this problem may have the feeling of fullness and heartburn even if they would have a little food. Some may vomit after having food or have problem in swallowing.
Peripheral Disease :
- peripheral polyneuropathy
- poly peripheral neuropathy
- peripheral polyneuropathy symptoms
- peripheral polyneuropthy
- periphial poly neuropathy
- periphial polyneuropathy
- periphral poyneuropathy
- polyneuropathy and underactive thyroid